Our History

Our history brought us to where we our now, and our vision will carry us into the future.

What’s in a name? Why Salesian.

The name Salesian comes from the story of St. John Bosco who, as a young Italian priest, observed the unsettling influence that the Industrial Revolution was having on youth. Aware of the understanding and patience required with working with young people, St. John Bosco chose as his patron, St. Francis de Sales, who was noted for having conquered a fiery temper to achieve a gentle character. The family name Sales gave title to the Salesians of St. John Bosco.

In 1921, Fr. Oreste Trincheri came to the North Beach area and found that the Barbary Coast atmosphere created 60% of the city’s delinquency, most notably in the neighborhood boys. Realizing the volatile, creative Italian character needed a positive outlet, Fr. Trincheri founded the Salesian Boys’ Club in the spirit of St. John Bosco. In 1994, the Salesian Boys’ Club merged with its sister Girls’ Club, and thus, the Club came to be as it is now known: the Salesian Boys’ and Girls’ Club, a cornerstone of the North Beach community.

Want to learn more?

Email our Executive Director, Randal DeMartini, at rdemartini@salesianclub.org.

Related Links:

Slideshow Image
Slideshow Image
Slideshow Image